CVE-106 EE. UU. Commencement Bay - Historia

CVE-106 EE. UU. Commencement Bay - Historia


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Bahía de inicio

Una bahía de Puget Sound, cerca de Tacoma, Wash.

(CVE 106; dp. 11,373; 1. 677'1 "; b. 75 '; ew. 105'2";
Dr. 32 '; s. 19 k .; cpl. 1.066; una. 2 5 "; cl. Comienzo
Bahía)

Commencement Bay (CVE-106) fue lanzado el 9 de mayo de 1944 por Seattle Tacoma Shipbuilding Corp., Tacoma, Washington; patrocinado por la Sra. F. Eves; y comisionado el 27 de noviembre de 1944, el capitán R. L. Bowman al mando.

Commencement Bay se presentó en Seattle el 1 de febrero de 1945 para servir como buque escuela en Puget Sound hasta el 2 de octubre. Durante este tiempo, entrenó a 545 oficiales y 5.053 hombres de las tripulaciones de precomisionamiento para portaaviones de escolta hermanos, y calificó a 249 pilotos de ocho grupos aéreos en despegues y aterrizajes de portaaviones. Zarpó de Bremerton el 21 de octubre de 1945 y llegó a Pearl Harbor el 4 de noviembre para recibir entrenamiento y realizar las calificaciones de portaaviones hasta que zarpó el 27 de noviembre hacia Seattle y Tacoma.

Después de visitar Los Ángeles y San Pedro, regresó a Tacoma el 28 de enero, donde fue puesta fuera de servicio en la reserva el 30 de noviembre de 1946. Fue reclasificada como CVHE-106, el 12 de junio de 1955; y AKV-37, 7 de mayo de 1959.


Bahía de inicio del USS (CVE-105)

| módulo = Carrera (Estados Unidos) Nombre: USS Bahía de inicioConstructor: Todd Pacific Shipyards Lanzamiento: 9 de mayo de 1944 Encargado: 27 de noviembre de 1944 Retirado: 30 de noviembre de 1946 Reclasificado: Helicóptero, CVHE-105, 12 de junio de 1955
Buque de carga y transbordador de aeronaves, AKV-37, 7 de mayo de 1959 Destino: Desechado en algún momento después de 1971 | módulo2 = Características generales Clase y tipo de amplificador: Bahía de inicio-transportador de escolta de clase> Desplazamiento: 10,900 toneladas largas (11,100 & # 160t) & # 911 & # 93 Longitud: 557 & # 160ft (170 & # 160m) Manga: 75 & # 160ft (23 & # 160m) Calado: 30 & # 160ft 6 & # 160in ( 9.30 & # 160m) Propulsión: Turbinas con engranajes de 2 ejes, 16.000 shp Velocidad: 19 nudos (22 & # 160mph 35 & # 160km / h) Complemento: 1.066 Armamento: • 2 × 5 & # 160in (130 & # 160mm) cañones (2 × 1)
• Cañones AA de 36 × 40 mm Aviones transportados: 34 |> USS Bahía de inicio (CVE-105) (ex-Bahía de San José), el barco líder de su clase, fue un portaaviones de escolta y más tarde un portaaviones de helicópteros de la Armada de los Estados Unidos, utilizado principalmente como buque escuela. Bahía de inicio fue lanzado el 9 de mayo de 1944 por Todd Pacific Shipyards, Tacoma, Washington, patrocinado por la Sra. F. Eves y encargado el 27 de noviembre de 1944, con el capitán Roscoe Leroy Bowman al mando. Bahía de inicio se presentó en Seattle el 1 de febrero de 1945 para servir como buque escuela en Puget Sound hasta el 2 de octubre. Durante este tiempo, entrenó a 545 oficiales y 5.053 hombres de las tripulaciones de precomisionamiento para portaaviones de escolta hermanos, y calificó a 249 pilotos de ocho grupos aéreos en despegues y aterrizajes de portaaviones. Zarpó de Bremerton el 21 de octubre de 1945 y llegó a Pearl Harbor el 4 de noviembre para recibir entrenamiento y realizar las calificaciones de portaaviones hasta que zarpó el 27 de noviembre hacia Seattle y Tacoma. Después de visitar Los Ángeles y San Pedro, regresó a Tacoma el 28 de enero, donde fue puesta fuera de servicio en la reserva el 30 de noviembre de 1946. Fue reclasificada CVHE-105, 12 de junio de 1955 y AKV-37, 7 de mayo de 1959.


HistoryLink.org

Comenzando a fines de la década de 1880 y continuando durante décadas, el delta donde el río Puyallup se encuentra con la bahía de Commencement fue dragado y llenado para satisfacer las necesidades del transporte marítimo y la industria. En 1908, Milwaukee Road, una de las compañías ferroviarias más innovadoras del país pero que llegó tarde a Puget Sound, construyó un caballete de madera de 1500 pies de largo a través de la tierra pantanosa del delta. Esto fue para proporcionar conexión a las vías del ferrocarril Tacoma Eastern Railroad, que Milwaukee Road había comprado para alimentar carga a su nueva línea principal transcontinental, y acceso al antiguo depósito de pasajeros de Tacoma Eastern y la casa de carga cerca del centro de la ciudad. Plagado por la sedimentación del suelo y la podredumbre desenfrenada, el caballete necesitaba mantenimiento y reparación constantes y en 1937 fue reemplazado por un tramo que se conoció como Caballete de curva en S (a veces llamado Caballete de Tacoma). Esto también necesitaba reparaciones frecuentes y fue reconstruido casi por completo en 1962. En 1980, Milwaukee Road estaba en quiebra y había terminado todo el servicio de trenes al oeste de Montana. En 2000, comenzó el servicio de tren de cercanías Sounder de Sound Transit entre Tacoma y Seattle, y en 2003 sus trenes comenzaron a usar el S-Curve Trestle, compartiendo la vía única con Tacoma Rail. En 2012, se determinó que el caballete era elegible para ser incluido en el Registro Nacional de Lugares Históricos, pero no fue nominado ni incluido en la lista. Fue demolido en 2017 y está programado para ser reemplazado por un nuevo caballete de dos pistas más adelante ese año.

Antes de que fuera dragado y llenado para su uso por la industria y el transporte marítimo, el delta donde el río Puyallup se encuentra con la bahía de Commencement se inundaba regularmente por inundaciones y se cubría con limo arrastrado por el río y las mareas. Los miembros de la tribu Puyallup habían vivido durante muchos siglos en varias aldeas alrededor de la bahía y en sitios dispersos que llegaban hasta 15 millas río arriba. Pero el delta en sí no era adecuado para la vida diaria, como lo demuestra el nombre descriptivo de Puyallup para partes de él: "suelo inundado o seco según las mareas" ("Informe de recursos culturales"). La evidencia arqueológica más cercana de una aldea nativa permanente, que data de hace unos 2.000 años, proviene de un sitio aproximadamente a una milla al este de la ubicación del caballete de la curva en S de Milwaukee Road.

La Compañía Británica de la Bahía de Hudson abrió Fort Nisqually en 1833, pero interfirió poco con los Puyallup, contentos de involucrarlos en la extensa red comercial de la empresa. La llegada de un número creciente de colonos permanentes no indígenas después de 1845 llevó a esfuerzos para separar a los Puyallup de la mayor parte de su tierra. Estos culminaron con el Tratado de Medicine Creek de 1854, que relegó a la tribu a una reserva de 1,280 acres. Cuando estallaron las guerras de los tratados al año siguiente, muchos Puyallups se unieron a la lucha contra el gobierno y más de 500 miembros tribales fueron detenidos y confinados en la isla Squaxin en Puget Sound.

La fortuna de la tribu volvería a cambiar después de que se restableciera la paz, y las órdenes presidenciales de 1857 y 1873 expandieron la reserva a más de 18,000 acres. La mayor parte de esta tierra sería luego vendida a no nativos en transacciones que en muchos casos eran legal y moralmente dudosas. Después de años de lucha, en 1989 la tribu resolvió sus reclamos de tierras contra el gobierno federal, el estado de Washington, la ciudad y el puerto de Tacoma y varias empresas privadas por un total de $ 162 millones.

Esperando un tren

Las primeras comunidades no nativas de la región de Puget Sound utilizaron las vías fluviales para el transporte, al igual que los indios. Se desarrolló un extenso comercio de barcos de vapor costeros, pero faltaron los enlaces de transporte terrestre con el resto de la nación, o para el caso entre las comunidades locales. Para ello se necesitaban vías y trenes, los ferrocarriles eran el acompañamiento necesario del desarrollo industrial de Occidente.

La primera ruta transcontinental, una colaboración entre los ferrocarriles Union Pacific y Central Pacific, se completó en mayo de 1869 y unió el norte de California y la costa este. Las esperanzas se dispararon en el noroeste con la noticia de que el Pacífico norte proporcionaría un enlace transcontinental con Puget Sound. En 1873, Tacoma fue ungida como la futura terminal de Puget Sound del ferrocarril, una decisión que devastó a los impulsores demasiado confiados de Seattle. Para los tacomanos, sería una victoria de corta duración, e incluso eso se retrasó mucho: el Pacífico norte tardó 10 años completos, hasta 1883, en tejer una línea transcontinental, y llegar a Tacoma todavía requería un cruce de tren y ferry. del río Columbia en Kalama. Para entonces, estaba claro que Seattle sería el centro comercial del oeste de Washington, y en 1887 el Pacífico Norte había trasladado su terminal al norte de la ciudad en la bahía de Elliott. Otra línea transcontinental, la Great Northern, terminó de colocar vías desde St. Paul, Minnesota, hasta Everett en 1893 y corrió una línea desde allí hacia el sur hasta Seattle y luego hacia Tacoma sobre vías alquiladas al Pacífico Norte.

Aunque tiene su sede en otro lugar, tanto el Pacífico Norte como el Gran Norte construyeron amplias instalaciones de transporte y almacenamiento en Tacoma. Se había estado trabajando desde 1887 para hacer que las marismas de Commencement Bay fueran utilizables para la industria, y los ferrocarriles se unieron, dragando vías fluviales y llenando los humedales pantanosos en el área que el Pacífico Norte había llamado "Nueva Tacoma". A lo largo de los años, se creó una importante zona industrial y portuaria que incluía muelles, almacenes y otras instalaciones necesarias para el manejo de mercancías y materiales que llegaban en tren y salían en barco, o viceversa. El desarrollo industrial transformó radicalmente los humedales naturales del delta del río Puyallup.

Trenes y caballetes

Las locomotoras de principios del siglo XX a menudo pesaban más de 200 toneladas y con frecuencia transportaban docenas de vagones de mercancías muy cargados. Los miles de puentes y caballetes que se construyeron para atravesar huecos en el terreno tenían que ser capaces de soportar el gran peso y las fuerzas dinámicas de los trenes que los atravesaban. Antes del uso generalizado del acero y el hormigón, la fácil disponibilidad de maderas de grandes dimensiones hacía de la madera el material más utilizado, especialmente para los caballetes.

Los caballetes vienen en dos variedades: estructura y pila. En los caballetes de armazón, las curvas individuales (las estructuras verticales que sostienen el lecho de la carretera) se asientan sobre una plataforma preparada, que a su vez descansa sobre una base hecha de pilotes o mampostería. La principal ventaja de un caballete de marco es que se puede construir a casi cualquier altura. Los caballetes de pilotes son más adecuados para cruces bajos y para atravesar terrenos blandos o pantanosos. Sus soportes principales están hundidos profundamente en el suelo, pero el lecho de la carretera rara vez está a más de 35 pies sobre el nivel del suelo.

El caballete S-Curve en Tacoma se construyó como un caballete de pilotes, la elección dictada por el terreno blando que tenía que cruzar. Los caballetes de pilotes se pueden construir utilizando un número variable de maderas clavadas en el suelo en diferentes ángulos: el pilote central o los pilotes hacia abajo, y los de ambos lados inclinados hacia adentro, lo que da como resultado una curvatura de forma triangular con una base ancha. Los pilotes individuales de cada curvatura están interconectados con arriostramientos laterales, y las curvaturas a menudo están conectadas entre sí de manera similar.

Cuando todos los pilotes en un codo se han hincado lo más profundo posible, sus partes superiores se cortan a nivel y se rematan con una gran viga de madera transversal. Luego, varios largueros pesados ​​(también llamados "cuerdas") se colocan longitudinalmente encima de las tapas, generalmente abarcando al menos dos curvas, y escalonados. Estos sostienen traviesas de madera a las que se unen los rieles de acero sobre los que se desplazan los trenes. Los caballetes tienen curvaturas muy juntas, lo que garantiza que el asentamiento o la falla de uno, o posiblemente más, no inestabilice toda la estructura.

La marcha lenta hacia el oeste de Milwaukee Road

Milwaukee Road se inició en 1847 en Wisconsin como Milwaukee and Waukesha Railroad Company. Sus operaciones se expandieron lentamente hacia el oeste, pero durante más de 50 años las pistas no se extendieron más allá de Dakota del Norte. Finalmente, en 1905, el ferrocarril, respaldado por los intereses de Rockefeller, decidió construir su sistema para llegar a Puget Sound, y se convertiría en la última línea transcontinental en completarse en Estados Unidos. Formalmente llamado Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul, el ferrocarril quería capturar parte del comercio de troncos y productos de madera, y la elección de Tacoma como su término occidental fue influenciada en gran parte por la proximidad de la ciudad a las principales operaciones de tala. Otras consideraciones fueron el excelente puerto de Commencement Bay y el hecho de que el Gran Norte y el Pacífico Norte ya tenían la costa de Seattle bastante bien atada.

La Milwaukee Road pronto se dirigió hacia el oeste, comprando o alquilando vías de las compañías ferroviarias locales y estableciendo nuevas vías propias. El objetivo era crear una ruta de 2,200 millas (medida desde Chicago) a Tacoma y Seattle, con las líneas a las dos ciudades de Puget Sound divididas en Black River Junction. Los trenes tendrían que cruzar cinco cadenas montañosas: Saddles, Belts, Rockies, Bitter Roots y Cascades. Se necesitaban cincuenta y un túneles y un número mucho mayor de puentes y caballetes.

Un año antes de la llegada de Milwaukee Road, la comunidad empresarial de Tacoma estaba muy ocupada fomentando el entusiasmo local. En abril de 1908, la Cámara de Comercio y la Junta de Comercio de la ciudad sacó un anuncio de página completa en Revista Sunset. Citando a un abogado de una compañía ferroviaria, prometió:

"Los planes de Chicago, Milwaukee y St. Paul prevén un mayor desarrollo en Tacoma del que la gente tiene idea. Es aquí donde se hará el negocio de la carretera. La sede del negocio de buques de vapor oceánico de la compañía estará en Tacoma y esta ciudad tendrán las terminales occidentales más grandes de la carretera "(" Tacoma Traffic Center ").

Llegando a Tacoma

En una exhibición de ingeniería brillante y construcción eficiente, todos los huecos en la línea de Chicago a Puget Sound se llenaron en solo tres años. El 19 de mayo de 1909, se condujo la última punta del último ferrocarril transcontinental de la nación en una ceremonia discreta que se llevó a cabo al oeste de Garrison, Montana. Inicialmente, el ferrocarril operó servicio entre Tacoma y Malden, y el primer tren de pasajeros que cruzó el caballete partió de Tacoma el 14 de junio de 1909. El primer servicio de carga también comenzó en junio de 1909, y a través del servicio de carga entre Chicago y Tacoma comenzó el 4 de julio. 1909. En mayo de 1911, Milwaukee Road comenzó a transportar pasajeros a lo largo de toda la distancia desde Chicago hasta Tacoma y Seattle en su nuevo vehículo totalmente de acero. olímpico y Colombino Trenes. El ferrocarril utilizó el depósito de pasajeros construido por Tacoma Eastern Railroad en 26th Avenue y A Street.

Antes de que la línea principal a Tacoma llegara al río Puyallup después de dividirse en Black River Junction, se dividió nuevamente en Tacoma Junction. Un conjunto de vías conducía hacia el noroeste hasta el Milwaukee Waterway en Commencement Bay, donde se habían construido las impresionantes instalaciones de envío de la compañía. El otro cruzó el río Puyallup y continuó casi hacia el oeste hasta la enorme casa de carga de la compañía en las marismas llenas y el depósito de pasajeros de Tacoma Eastern a unos 2.000 pies más al oeste. Las vías cruzaron un área baja y pantanosa que comenzaba cerca de la intersección de las calles E 25th y East K. Mucho de esto ya había sido dragado, llenado y desarrollado en 1908, pero el suelo seguía siendo inestable y mal compactado y se necesitaba un caballete para transportar trenes a través de él. En comparación con otras estructuras similares a lo largo de la ruta de 2,200 millas del ferrocarril, esta no sería ni particularmente alta ni particularmente larga, pero su ubicación en un suelo inestable, húmedo y mal compactado dificultaba la construcción y afectaba negativamente su estabilidad y durabilidad. Un informe contemporáneo de Milwaukee Road señaló:

"El terreno entre las calles K y G [el área que abarcará el caballete] era muy pantanoso y se ha producido un asentamiento y hundimiento considerables en el relleno de este lugar. La propiedad estaba cubierta en gran parte con edificios en el momento de la compra, que fueron movido o arrasado a un costo considerable. Fue necesario remodelar el camino y los cruces de calles y reconstruir las aceras, donde se encontraron. La calle frente a la casa de carga y las pistas de los equipos se modificó para acomodar esas instalaciones ”(" Informe de inventario histórico ") .

El caballete original de Milwaukee Road

Hay poca información disponible sobre los detalles exactos del caballete de 1908 de Milwaukee Road, pero se ha descrito como "una serie de puentes de armazón y pilotes de madera baja y vías de grado elevado" (Sullivan). Corría desde cerca de East K Street hasta la casa de carga del ferrocarril que se estaba construyendo al mismo tiempo en E 25th Street entre las calles East D y East G. El caballete fue una construcción difícil, los registros de construcción de 1908 señalaron que en un lugar los trabajadores que conducían pilotes "lograron una penetración de 126 pies al clavar tres pilotes de 45 pies, uno encima de otro, y. A esa profundidad el pilote todavía estaba cayendo a buen ritmo "(Sullivan).

Una vez finalizado, el caballete fue una pesadilla de mantenimiento. El peso y la vibración de los trenes que cruzaban el tramo obligaron a los pilotes de soporte a hundirse más profundamente en el suelo, lo que provocó que las vías se doblaran. Para empeorar las cosas, la presencia constante de humedad en el suelo fomentaba la pudrición. La reparación y el reemplazo casi continuos eran necesarios para mantener el caballete en funcionamiento y, a mediados de la década de 1930, el ferrocarril estaba claro que lo mejor sería simplemente comenzar de nuevo.

El caballete de curva en S original (1937)

Para 1937, los peores efectos de la Gran Depresión habían disminuido, los ferrocarriles disfrutaban de un mayor tráfico de carga y pasajeros y, a medida que se acercaba la guerra en Europa, el litoral de Tacoma se convirtió en un importante punto de envío para el ejército de los EE. UU. Y Fort Lewis, ubicado a solo unas pocas millas del Sur. Milwaukee Road decidió que era hora de reemplazar el caballete de Tacoma por uno de mayor altura y soporte más resistente. El nuevo caballete de madera de cubierta abierta tendría aproximadamente 1,530 pies de largo, estaría ubicado entre las calles E 25th y E 26th, y se extendería desde aproximadamente East K Street hasta la casa de carga de Milwaukee Road en East G Street. A poca distancia más allá, los rieles iban hacia el sur y se ramificaban en líneas hacia Morton, Hoquiam, Raymond y Longview.

Se utilizaron pilas grandes, algunas de hasta 10 pulgadas cuadradas y 85 pies de largo. Las curvas individuales estaban espaciadas aproximadamente a 16 pies de distancia a lo largo de la mayor parte de la longitud del caballete, pero había un tramo ininterrumpido de 54 pies hecho de vigas en I de acero remachadas sobre las vías del Pacífico Norte entre las calles East J y K (conocido como el "cruce de la cervecería" ) y un tramo de acero similar pero más largo de 82 pies donde el caballete pasaba sobre un cruce cerca de East G Street en el otro extremo. También hubo tres lugares donde se utilizaron maderas pesadas para cubrir huecos de menos de 30 pies.

Las pilas que se utilizaron para construir las curvas eran de abeto Douglas con creosota y, en la mayoría de los casos, se clavaron a una profundidad de 50 a 55 pies. Fueron 97 curvas en total, de nueve alturas diferentes para adaptarse al desnivel del terreno. Se usó una configuración de seis pilotes para la mayoría de las curvas, con los dos pilotes centrales clavados directamente en el suelo y los cuatro pilotes laterales, dos a cada lado, clavados en ángulo para que se inclinaran hacia la parte superior. El ancho de las curvas en sus bases varió de 16 a 21 pies. Dos curvas usaban solo cinco pilas cada una, prescindiendo de una de las centrales. Las curvas individuales diferían en otras formas, excepto en las dos secciones del puente de acero, las traviesas del ferrocarril se colocaron encima de seis u ocho vigas de madera longitudinales (llamadas "largueros" o "cuerdas") que variaban en tamaño según la ubicación, pero nunca eran más pequeñas que 10 pulgadas por 17 1/4 pulgadas. Algunas curvas tenían cuatro tirantes transversales diagonales y dos horizontales, otras solo dos diagonales y una sola horizontal.

Hubo una desviación significativa del camino del caballete original. Aproximadamente a 200 pies al oeste de su punto de partida cerca de East K Street, la nueva estructura giró ligeramente hacia el sur y mantuvo esta desviación durante aproximadamente 500 pies antes de enderezarse. Medida desde E 25th Street, que es paralela a la vía, la curva movió los rieles unos 30 pies al sur de un camino en línea recta. Es esta característica la que llevó a que la estructura se llamara Caballete S-Curve, aunque desde el aire es una "S" muy relajada. La razón precisa de esta desviación de un camino recto no es evidente hoy.

El nuevo caballete fue una mejora, pero no resolvió los problemas subyacentes. La estructura continuó asentándose y deteriorándose, y en 1947, 1958 y 1960 fueron necesarios importantes proyectos de reemplazo de pilotes. Un descarrilamiento de 1961 dañó el lecho de la carretera entre las curvas 11 y 21. Ese mismo año, Milwaukee Road puso fin a su servicio transcontinental de pasajeros. concentrarse en el transporte de mercancías. En 1962, se reemplazaron 80 de las 97 curvas del caballete en forma de S, y en 1976 se realizaron trabajos adicionales que reemplazaron muchos de los largueros y traviesas de ferrocarril.

El caballete S-Curve fue diseñado en 1937 para manejar las locomotoras más pesadas que estaban en uso. Las locomotoras modernas pesan menos y crean fuerzas dinámicas más pequeñas y menos vibración que los modelos más antiguos. A medida que los motores más nuevos se generalizaron, el asentamiento de los pilotes del caballete disminuyó y, después de las renovaciones importantes de 1962, el tramo sobrevivió con un mantenimiento más modesto, aunque la pudrición de la madera siguió siendo un problema grave y continuo.

Milwaukee se queda sin camino

Puede que Milwaukee Road no haya sido la compañía ferroviaria más grande del país, pero fue una de las más innovadoras. El Great Northern había electrificado su línea a través del túnel Cascade ya en 1909, pero a fines de 1916, Milwaukee Road comenzó una electrificación mucho más extensa, comenzando en Montana e Idaho. El trabajo para electrificar la línea de Othello, Washington, a Tacoma comenzó a principios de 1917 y se completó en marzo de 1920. En Tacoma, el ferrocarril electrificó la línea a través del caballete hasta su estación de pasajeros para los trenes de pasajeros y la línea hasta su patio de ferrocarriles. y tienda de locomotoras en las marismas.

La electrificación implicó un gasto inicial considerable, pero ahorró dinero a largo plazo mediante el uso de energía hidroeléctrica abundante y barata generada por los ríos a lo largo del camino y distribuida a través de subestaciones construidas por ferrocarril. También protegió a los pasajeros del riesgo no insignificante de asfixia en el túnel por el humo y el escape de los motores de vapor y diesel. Eventualmente, un total de 656 millas, más de una cuarta parte de la ruta oeste de Milwaukee Road, se electrizaría: 440 millas entre Harlowton, Montana y Avery, Idaho (que entró en funcionamiento a principios de 1917) y 216 millas entre Othello en Eastern Washington y Tacoma (que entró en línea en 1920). Combinado, fue el tramo más largo de servicio de tren electrificado del mundo. Pero no fue hasta 1927 cuando los cables aéreos de la compañía finalmente llegaron a Seattle.

Entre las otras mejoras que Milwaukee Road introdujo o fue pronto en adoptar se encuentran los carros de pasajeros con aire acondicionado, carros de carga refrigerados para productos perecederos, trenes de pasajeros de alta velocidad y el uso de transporte en contenedores. El ferrocarril había tenido problemas financieros durante gran parte de su existencia, pero funcionó bien durante los años posteriores a la Segunda Guerra Mundial y durante la década de 1950. Con el crecimiento de los viajes aéreos, el servicio de pasajeros de la mayoría de los ferrocarriles operaba con pérdidas, y en 1961 Milwaukee Road dejó de transportar pasajeros en su Tacoma / Seattle-to-Chicago. La compañía pasaría gran parte de las próximas dos décadas tratando de deshacerse del negocio del ferrocarril mediante una fusión o venta. Como parte de este esfuerzo, se aplazó el mantenimiento necesario para hacer más atractivos los balances de la línea.

Para 1970, la tendencia entre los ferrocarriles era hacia una mayor consolidación, y ese año el Great Northern y el Northern Pacific se fusionaron en Burlington Northern, lo que trajo economías de escala y otras ventajas competitivas. Sin embargo, como condición para la aprobación de la fusión, Milwaukee Road obtuvo acceso a Portland y durante un tiempo se benefició del aumento del tráfico de mercancías. Desafortunadamente, los años de mantenimiento diferido pronto lo alcanzaron. El raíl y las vías por las que circulaban los trenes comenzaron a fallar, lo que requirió velocidades más lentas y provocó retrasos frecuentes. Los horarios de carga se volvieron más informativos que reales, y los cargadores huyeron. Los descarrilamientos se volvieron alarmantemente frecuentes durante un período particularmente malo, las secciones de la línea principal a través de Montana promediaron un descarrilamiento por día. En algunas vías, particularmente en las montañas, los trenes no podían circular a más de 10 millas por hora. Los equipos rotos a menudo se estacionaban en lugar de repararse. Finalmente, el 19 de diciembre de 1977, Milwaukee Road, con escasez de equipo, menos dinero y cargado con miles de millas de vías deterioradas y miles de toneladas de equipos viejos o rotos, solicitó una reorganización ante el tribunal federal de quiebras en Chicago.

Los procedimientos de quiebra fueron largos y polémicos. Los sindicatos, los transportistas y las comunidades a lo largo de la ruta del ferrocarril se opusieron a su solicitud de cerrar sus operaciones en el oeste. Pero el 31 de enero de 1980, la Comisión de Comercio Interestatal votó para permitir que Milwaukee Road se alejara de todas sus líneas entre Miles City, Montana y Seattle-Tacoma. El servicio cesó en un mes y los activos del ferrocarril al oeste de Montana se vendieron por partes o simplemente se abandonaron. Sea-Land Services Inc., una gran empresa naviera, terminó con gran parte de las propiedades e instalaciones de Commencement Bay del ferrocarril.

Cuando la compañía finalmente salió de la bancarrota, era una línea exclusiva del Medio Oeste, e incluso esta desapareció en 1985, asumida por Soo Line. La histórica Milwaukee Road de antaño ya no existía y nunca volvería a ser, pero el Caballete S-Curve que había construido en Tacoma casi 50 años antes todavía se mantenía en pie. La ciudad de Tacoma finalmente tomó posesión de él, y en 1998, el sistema Tacoma Rail comenzó a usar el caballete como parte de su línea Mountain Division.

Hola a Sound Transit

La larga y complicada historia de los esfuerzos para crear un sistema regional de transporte público queda fuera del alcance de este ensayo. Baste decir que después de años de controversias, debates y comienzos en falso, en septiembre de 1993 los condados de Snohomish, Pierce y King establecieron una Autoridad de Tránsito Regional (RTA). En octubre de 1994, la autoridad adoptó un Plan de Tránsito Regional, solo para verlo derribado por los votantes en marzo siguiente. Siguió más de una década de planificación y estudio, y en mayo de 1996 la autoridad volvió a intentarlo, proponiendo "Sound Move", un plan de 10 años para unir Everett, Seattle, Tacoma y puntos intermedios mediante trenes de cercanías. En agosto de 1996, la RTA adoptó el nombre "Sound Transit" para todo el sistema y "Sounder" para el servicio regional de trenes de cercanías planificado. El plan finalmente obtuvo la aprobación de los votantes en las elecciones de noviembre de 1996.

La Weyerhaeuser Company se hizo cargo de gran parte de la pista de Milwaukee Road en bancarrota cerca de Commencement Bay, incluida la S-Curve Trestle. A fines de la década de 1990, las vías se vendieron a Tacoma Public Works, que a su vez firmó un acuerdo con Tacoma Rail para el uso y mantenimiento de la línea por parte de esta última, y ​​posteriormente compartiría las vías y el caballete con los trenes de cercanías Sounder de Sound Transit. El 18 de septiembre de 2000, el primer tren de cercanías programado regularmente entre Tacoma y Seattle partió de una plataforma temporal que estaba ubicada al oeste de la estación Tacoma Amtrak en Portland Avenue. Un segundo tren partió media hora más tarde, y los dos cambiaron de rumbo para el viaje nocturno de regreso a Tacoma. El número total de pasajeros ese primer día fue de aproximadamente 1.100.

A medida que empeoraba el tráfico de automóviles para los desplazamientos matutinos y vespertinos, crecía la popularidad del tren de cercanías Sounder. En 2002 se agregó un tercer tren al programa y en septiembre de 2003 se abrió la estación Tacoma Dome en Freighthouse Square, donde se había conservado el antiguo almacén de Milwaukee Road. Para 2012, con Lakewood agregado como una parada adicional, la línea Sounder South al condado de Pierce había crecido a 10 viajes de ida y vuelta por día (incluidos cinco desde la estación de Lakewood) que se realizaban cada 20 minutos y transportaban un promedio de 10,500 pasajeros entre semana.

Fuera lo viejo, adentro lo nuevo

Los elegantes trenes de cercanías Sounder operaban casi en su totalidad en vías que habían existido durante bastante más tiempo que Sound Transit, incluido el conjunto único sobre el S-Curve Trestle. A medida que creció la popularidad de los viajes diarios al trabajo y aumentó el número de trenes y recorridos, el caballete requirió un mantenimiento constante y se convirtió en un cuello de botella para el tráfico ferroviario. En 2008, los votantes aprobaron una medida de votación "Sound Transit 2", que incluía fondos para un nuevo caballete, estimado en $ 62 millones (en dólares de 2014). Los planes originales requerían que la construcción se llevara a cabo en 2023, pero una subvención de $ 10 millones del Departamento de Transporte de EE. UU. Movió la fecha estimada de finalización a 2017.

En una evaluación emitida en diciembre de 2012, el Departamento de Arqueología y Preservación Histórica del estado determinó que el Caballete de la Curva en S era elegible para ser incluido en el Registro Nacional de Lugares Históricos, revirtiendo al menos dos conclusiones anteriores. Aunque fue ampliamente reconstruido desde 1937, el caballete conservó casi exactamente el mismo aspecto, y en 2012 incluso el trabajo de renovación importante de 1962 tenía 50 años. El hallazgo de importancia histórica se basó en la "asociación del caballete con los patrones generales de desarrollo y crecimiento de Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific y su relación con la asistencia en el movimiento de mercancías hacia y desde Tacoma". También se determinó que era "un recurso que encarna las características distintivas de su tipo un caballete RR. Y tiene un diseño inusual en comparación con otros recursos similares en todo el estado" (Carta, Houser a Paul).

A pesar de este hallazgo, el caballete no fue nominado ni listado. La preservación del antiguo caballete era económica y prácticamente inviable y en 2014 se inició la fase de diseño del proyecto de reemplazo. El histórico Caballete S-Curve fue demolido en 2017 y su reemplazo, un puente ferroviario de doble vía, debía estar terminado para fin de año.

Tren de carga Tacoma Rail, Caballete S-Curve, Tacoma, 17 de junio de 2006

Foto de Steve Carter, cortesía de SteveCarterPhotography.com

Tránsito de sonido Sonido tren de cercanías, S-Curve Caballete, Tacoma

Delta del río Puyallup en Commencement Bay, Mount Rainier en la distancia, Tacoma, ca. 1885

Cortesía de la Sociedad Histórica de Washington (2013.0.194)

Mapa, Commencement Bay y tidelands, desarrollo temprano, Tacoma, 1888

Cortesía de la encuesta geodésica y costera de los Estados Unidos

Desarrollo temprano, tideflats de Commencement Bay, Tacoma, 1891

Cortesía de la Sociedad Histórica del Estado de Washington (2013.0.196)

Anuncio promocional de la Cámara de Comercio de Tacoma y la Junta de Comercio de Chicago, Milwaukee y St. Paul Railroad, Revista Sunset, 1908

Marcador, último pico, División del Pacífico de Milwaukee Road, cerca de Garrison, Montana, 19 de mayo de 1909

Cortesía La revista Milwaukee Road

Trabajadores japoneses y funcionarios ferroviarios, ceremonia del "último pico" de Milwaukee Road, cerca de Garrison, Montana, 19 de mayo de 1909

Cortesía de la Sociedad Histórica de Montana.

Casa de carga de Milwaukee Road, Tacoma, 1909

Cortesía Noticias ferroviarias y marítimas

Autocares de pasajeros, North Bend depot, ca. 1910

Anuncio, Milwaukee Road, The Seattle Times, 27 de mayo de 1911

Antiguo depósito de pasajeros de Milwaukee Road (izquierda), anteriormente depósito del este de Tacoma, calles 25 y A, Tacoma, 2 de mayo de 1912

Cortesía de la Sociedad Histórica del Estado de Washington (2006.0.263)

Patio de carga de la terminal de trenes de Chicago, Milwaukee y St. Paul, Tacoma, 1918

Foto de Asahel Curtis, cortesía de colecciones especiales de UW (CUR1379)

Depósito de Milwaukee Road, E 11th y Milwaukee Way, Tacoma, 1954

Cortesía La revista Milwaukee Road

Tren de seda de Chicago Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad, ca. 1921

Cortesía de MOHAI (1983.10.2199.1)

Muelles de Milwaukee Road, almacenes, Tacoma, ca. 1936

Calcomanía, Milwaukee Road's olímpico tren de pasajeros, Chicago a Tacoma, ca. 1925

Cortesía de la Sociedad Histórica del Estado de Washington (2007.8.1)

Calcomanía, Milwaukee Road's Hiawatha olímpico tren de pasajeros, ca. 1947

Cortesía de la Sociedad Histórica del Estado de Washington (1997.1.237)

Póster de Hiawatha olímpico de Milwaukee Road, ca. 1952

Tránsito de sonido Sonido tren de cercanías, S-Curve Caballete, Tacoma

Dibujo, típico de seis pilotes doblados, caballete de curva en S, Tacoma, 1981


Bahía de inicio-class escort carrier

los Commencement Bay-class escort aircraft carriers were the last class of escort carriers built for the US Navy in World War II.

  • 10,900 long tons (11,100 t) standard
  • 24,100 long tons (24,500 t) full load
  • 525 ft (160 m) wl
  • 557 ft 1 in (169.80 m) oa
  • 75 ft (23 m)
  • 105 ft 2 in (32.05 m) flight deck
  • 2 × 5"/38 caliber guns (1 × 2)
  • 36 × 40 mm Bofors gun (3 × 4, 12 × 2)
  • 20 × 20 mm Oerlikon cannons

The ships were based on the Maritime Commission type T3 Tanker hull, which gave them a displacement of approximately 23,000 tons and a length of 557 feet (170 m). Unlike most earlier escort carrier classes, which were laid down as something else and converted to aircraft carriers mid-construction, the Commencement Bays were built as carriers from the keel up. Their general layout was similar to the Sangamon-class escort carriers, but some of the Sangamon's engineering shortcomings were addressed.

They entered service late in World War II – USS Commencement Bay launched on 9 May 1944 – so most of them saw little or no operational service. Thirty-three of them were ordered but many were cancelled prior to completion. Nineteen saw commissioned service in the US Navy, four were broken up on the ways at the end of the war, two were accepted from the builders, but never commissioned and the remainder were cancelled before being laid down.

After the war they were seen as potential helicopter, anti-submarine, or auxiliary (transport) carriers, and a number of ships served in these roles during the Korean War. The oncoming jet age ended their careers, as the ships were no longer large enough to safely carry the much larger jet aircraft of the late 1950s, and all units were out of service or reclassified by 1960.


CVE-106 U.S.S. Commencement Bay - History

A bay of Puget Sound, near Tacoma, Wash.

(CVE 106 dp. 11,373 1. 677'1" b. 75' ew. 105'2"
Dr. 32' s. 19 k. cpl. 1,066 a. 2 5" cl. Comienzo
Bay)

Commencement Bay (CVE-106) was launched 9 May 1944 by Seattle Tacoma Shipbuilding Corp., Tacoma, Wash. sponsored by Mrs. F. Eves and commissioned 27 November, 1944, Captain R. L. Bowman in command.

Commencement Bay reported at Seattle 1 February 1945 for duty as a training ship in Puget Sound until 2 October. During this time she trained 545 officers and 5,053 men of precommissioning crews for sister escort carriers, and qualified 249 pilots of eight air groups in carrier takeoffs and landings. She sailed from Bremerton 21 October 1945, and arrived at Pearl Harbor 4 l November for training and to conduct carrier qualifications until sailing 27 November for Seattle and Tacoma.

After visits to Los Angeles and San Pedro, she returned to Tacoma 28 January, where she was placed out of commission in reserve 30 November 1946. She was reclassified CVHE-106, 12 June 1955 and AKV-37, 7 May 1959.


HistoryLink.org

On May 31, 1919, Pierce County voters approve the "comprehensive scheme" of development prepared for the newly formed Port of Tacoma by consulting engineer Frank J. Walsh. The Port, which was created in a November 1918 vote, will inaugurate shipping at its first pier on March 25, 1921. Over the next nine decades, the Port of Tacoma will become a leading container port, serving as a "Pacific Gateway" for trade between Asia and the central and eastern United States as well as the Northwest, and handling most of the maritime commerce between Alaska and the lower 48 states. With ample room to expand on the tideflats fronting the deep waters of Commencement Bay, the Port will develop multiple waterways accommodating the largest ocean-going cargo ships and will create efficient intermodal transportation connections between ships and road or rail, often right on the dock.

Second Try Succeeds

Longshoremen, business leaders, and politicians from Tacoma were prominent in the ranks of reformers who in 1911 won passage of Washington's Port District Act, authorizing local voters to form public port districts to acquire and improve harbor facilities necessary to retain and expand maritime trade and commerce. But a year later, when proponents placed on the November 1912 ballot a proposal to create a public Port of Tacoma encompassing all of Pierce County, the measure was narrowly defeated. City voters supported the proposal, but many rural residents feared that a port would only benefit urban businesses.

In 1918, as the Tacoma waterfront hummed with activity generated by World War I, port proponents tried again. W. H. Paulhamus, a state senator and president of the Puyallup and Sumner Fruit Growers' Canning Company, gained rural support by arguing that a public port could build a cold-storage building on the waterfront, making it easier for farmers to preserve and ship their produce. Steamship company executives and other businessmen advocated for the port measure, as did the Tacoma Daily Ledger and longshore union members.

This time voters across Pierce County were convinced and they approved creation of the Port of Tacoma on November 5, 1918. Edward Kloss, Charles W. Orton, and Chester Thorne were elected port commissioners. They hired engineer Frank J. Walsh to create the "comprehensive scheme of harbor improvement" that the Port District Act required. Under the law, county voters had to approve both the harbor plan and the bonds that the Port would have to sell to fund construction.

Planning and Building

Walsh prepared a plan for harbor development on 240 acres of land along the Middle Waterway, where he recommended that the port's first two piers be built. The port commission placed the plan, and a measure authorizing the sale of $2.5 million in bonds to fund it, on the ballot for May 31, 1919. Voters approved both measures by fairly wide margins. However, support for the port bonds was weaker outside Tacoma, and it was several days before it was clear that the bond measure had barely, by a few hundred votes, surpassed the required 60 percent threshold.

Construction began on March 25, 1920, and exactly one year later the Edmore arrived at the newly finished Pier 1 to take on the first cargo shipped from the Port of Tacoma. Port business grew so quickly that within a year the commissioners approved a 300-foot extension of Pier 1. By 1923 Pier 2 was completed. During the 1920s, the Port's cargo tonnage doubled. By the end of the decade, at least 25 steamship lines made regular stops in Tacoma.

The Port Commission worked throughout the decade to build the promised cold-storage plant that had helped persuade voters to approve the port. The plant opened in 1931. In the meantime, voters in 1928 approved a new port bond issue allowing construction of a grain elevator that began operation in 1930.

Depression and War

When the Depression hit Tacoma's waterfront, cargo tonnage dropped sharply. Tacoma's maritime commerce rebounded somewhat after Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882-1945) became president. Roosevelt's New Deal reforms gave unions more clout than they previously had. When employers refused collective bargaining, longshore and other shipping-industry unions shut down ports on the entire West Coast in the great waterfront strike of 1934. Federal arbitration settled the strike in favor of the longshore union, creating the union hiring hall that still exists. Although significant, the hiring hall victory did not directly affect the Tacoma longshore locals, which were fully closed shop even before the strike, the only large longshore unions on the coast to enjoy that distinction.

The Depression slowed the Port's development until the 1939 state legislature gave public ports new powers to develop industrial sites. Port of Tacoma commissioners were among the first to take advantage of the new authority, setting up an Industrial Development District south of 11th Street between Hylebos Creek and Milwaukee Way. The Port began to recruit tenants, but World War II put the project on hold.

Like so much else, the Tacoma waterfront was largely given over to the military effort from 1942 to 1945. Thousands of troops from nearby Fort Lewis were dispatched to the Pacific theater from Port of Tacoma piers. Longshoremen were busier than during the Depression, but not all found full-time work, due in part to the fact that Seattle took the lion's share of the region's army and navy business. Increased mechanization on the docks also reduced the number of longshore workers needed, as the military spent freely on new equipment like forklifts and larger cranes.

A Key Advantage

After the war ended in 1945, the Port, like the rest of the country, faced a rocky transition back to a civilian economy. With the massive war mobilization over, waterfront manufacturing declined sharply. Maritime trade fell by 90 percent in 1946, to well below pre-war levels. The Port of Tacoma Commission responded to the nationwide downturn by renewing its interrupted efforts to attract manufacturers to the Industrial Development District it had established before the war. But even after Purex, Concrete Technology, Stauffer Chemical, and Western Boat Building all set up shop in the Industrial District, the port had not returned to pre-war business levels.

In the early 1950s, the commissioners embarked on further improvements to attract more development. They dredged the Industrial Waterway, located on the tideflats between the Puyallup River and Hylebos Creek and Waterway, to accomodate larger ships. In 1955, the commission hired Tibbetts-Abbett-McCarthy-Stratton (TAMS) to prepare a detailed comprehensive plan for future port development. The study proposed making maximizing a key competitive advantage: The Port of Tacoma's significant acreage on the deep waters of Commencement Bay was one of the few locations in Puget Sound where industry had direct access to deep water. The TAMS plan called for the Port to extend and widen the Industrial (later Blair) Waterway and Hylebos Waterway and construct ship-turning basins adjacent to the Industrial District at the ends of the lengthened waterways.

Mechanization and Modernization

In 1957, Tacoma longshore workers ended a 20-year rift by voting to affiliate with the International Longshoremen’s and Warehousemen’s Union (ILWU), headed by Harry Bridges (1901-1990). As ILWU members, Tacoma workers were parties to the Mechanization and Modernization Agreement that Bridges and the ILWU negotiated with West Coast shipping and stevedoring management. The agreement gave employers freedom to introduce both "mechanization" (labor-saving machinery) and "modernization" (work rules requiring greater efficiency) in return for a commitment of no layoffs and a guaranteed 35 hours of work (or pay) per week.

The agreement opened the way for employers to take advantage of two new, more efficient cargo-loading methods being developed during the 1950s. Bulk ships carrying large cargos of loose material like grain or ore were loaded and unloaded by large hoses that sucked or blew the material from ship to storage or vice versa. Container ships allowed most other cargo to be loaded into a large box (20 or 40 feet long) at the factory or warehouse, hauled by truck or train to the dock, and lifted aboard ship by crane.

Bulk and container ships were not yet common on the Tacoma waterfront when the agreement was ratified in 1961, but signs of change at the port were clear as dredging cranes and landfill reshaped the tideflats while warehouses and manufacturing shops were constructed for newly arriving businesses. Kaiser Aluminum reopened the aluminum smelter it had originally constructed on the tideflats in 1941.

New Leadership

In 1964, the port commission hired Ernest L. "Roy" Perry as general manager. He served until 1976, completing the expansion of the Blair and Hylebos Waterways called for in the TAMS plan and bringing the Port of Tacoma into the container age. The Port built new warehouses and piers for container cargo at Terminal 4 near the mouth of Blair Waterway and at Terminal 7 on Sitcum Waterway. The Port of Tacoma entered the container business in 1970, when the first container crane was built at Terminal 7.

Two prominent alumina domes -- sometimes termed the "original Tacoma domes" -- were also built at Terminal 7, to store ore for use at the Kaiser smelter. Pierce County Terminal was constructed at the head of Blair Waterway, where large amounts of storage space allowed the terminal to handle special cargo like locomotives, military equipment, and logs the terminal also served as the first major center for the growing number of automobiles imported from Asia through Tacoma.

In 1968 Perry increased the Port's investment in industrial property by acquiring 500 acres in Frederickson, an unincorporated area of Pierce County 13 miles south of the port's Commencement Bay terminals. Over the years Frederickson has developed as a major industrial center.

During the 1970s, Tacoma continued to be a major exporter of forest products, as it had been since its founding. Two new export facilities were built in 1972 and 1973: Blair Terminal, with two berths for log exports, was followed by Weyerhaeuser's $4.5 million, 25-acre wood-chip facility on Blair Waterway. In 1975, the Port significantly increased its capacity to handle another leading export, grain, by building the Continental Grain Terminal, with a capacity of three million bushels, on Commencement Bay north of downtown Tacoma.

Rapid Growth

Worldwide trade increased at record rates in the 1970s, much faster than its growth in prior decades. Growth was particularly rapid at the Port of Tacoma, much of it in trade with Pacific Rim countries, whose share of Washington state trade rose steadily. After 1979, when the 30-year American trade embargo was lifted, the People's Republic of China joined Japan, Taiwan, and Korea as major trading partners for the Port of Tacoma. By 1982, the Port had tripled tonnage moved and quadrupled revenues over the levels of a decade earlier.

The Port of Tacoma's domestic trade also increased exponentially in the 1970s. Local 23 longshoremen worked with Port management to convince Totem Ocean Trailer Express (TOTE), a leading shipper to Alaska, to move its operations from Seattle to Tacoma. TOTE's first ship began calling at Terminal 7 in 1976 and the company added a second vessel in 1977.

The Port of Tacoma helped pioneer a new phase in trade and transportation history in 1981 when it opened its North Intermodal Yard, the first dockside railyard on the West Coast, located on the main port peninsula between the docks of Terminal 7 on Sitcum Waterway and Terminal 4 on Blair Waterway. The success of the Port's pioneering intermodal connection led to expansions and upgrades of the North Intermodal Yard throughout the 1980s. The Port also opened the South Intermodal Yard, immediately across E 11th Street from Sitcum Waterway, and the new intermodal connections helped fuel the Port of Tacoma's rapid growth during the 1980s. In subsequent decades, the Port built new dockside intermodal yards in conjunction with two new terminal projects, Washington United Terminals and Pierce County Terminal.

New Arrivals

After the giant container line Sea-Land announced in 1983 that it would move from Seattle to Tacoma, the Port designed and built the $44 million Sea-Land Terminal on Sitcum Waterway, and constructed a new terminal for TOTE's Alaska service to make room for the Sea-Land container terminal. Within weeks after Sea-Land's first ship docked in 1985, another large container shipping company, the Danish line Maersk, arrived. (In 1999, Maersk bought Sea-Land's international shipping business, creating Maersk Sealand, the world's largest container shipping operation, which remained a major shipper from Tacoma until moving to Seattle in 2009.)

In 1988, K Line, from Japan, became the third large container line in three years to begin serving Tacoma. The additional container ships brought further growth to the Port's intermodal yards. In 1987, the old United Grain Terminal, one of the Port's earliest projects (which closed after the larger Continental Grain facility opened), was demolished to allow expansion of the North Intermodal Yard to handle the increase in container traffic K Line would bring.

The Port continued to grow as the 1990s opened. In 1991, another major container shipper, Taiwan's Evergreen Line, began serving the Port's Terminal 4. The new arrival helped the port reach the one-million-container mark that year for the first time in its history. Before the Port could develop the upper Blair Waterway to handle the increasing number of cargo ships, a replacement had to be found for the Blair Bridge, which carried E 11th Street over the waterway. The drawbridge opening of 150 feet, more than adequate when the bridge was built in the 1950s, was too small for the giant container ships of the late twentieth century. In 1997, the replacement route via State Route 509 was opened, allowing the Blair Bridge to be removed and unlocking the upper Blair Waterway for development.

That same year Hyundai Merchant Marine entered a 30-year lease for the first container terminal to be built on the upper Blair Waterway. Opened in 1999 and named Washington United Terminals (WUT), the facility included the Hyundai Intermodal Yard. Container volumes set records in four of the next seven years, increasing by 62 percent overall.

Transition and Progress

The Tacoma tideflats' transition away from large manufacturing continued as the Kaiser Aluminum smelter, which had at its peak employed hundreds of workers, closed in 2000 due to increasing power costs and the effects of a long strike. Although the loss of jobs hurt the local economy at the time, the 96-acre Kaiser property soon became a key part of the Port's future development plans.

The attacks that occurred on September 11 had lasting effects on the Port as on the rest of the world. Beginning in 2002, the Port of Tacoma, along with other ports in Puget Sound and around the country, received federal grants to test and upgrade security at the ports and to improve "supply chain security" from the point of origin abroad to the final U.S. destination.

The Port's plans for expansion on upper Blair Waterway received a major boost in 2003, when Evergreen Line agreed to lease a new container terminal to be built at the head of the waterway, replacing the old Pierce County Terminal that had handled bulk cargo. Until then, some container shippers had doubts about the accessibility of the two-mile-long waterway, but with Evergreen in place others soon expressed interest. The new 171-acre, $210 million Pierce County Terminal and Intermodal Yard, which the Port built for Evergreen over the next two years, was the largest construction project in Port history.

In October 2003, the Port opened the $40 million, 146.5-acre Marshall Avenue Auto Facility, which could store and process nearly 20,000 vehicles at a time. Two months later, the one-millionth Mazda imported through the port drove off a transport ship at Blair Terminal and made its way to the Marshall Avenue facility.

The year 2005 brought a chain reaction of new terminal openings. In January, Evergreen Line moved to the newly opened Pierce County Terminal. In July, the new Husky Terminal, at Evergreen's former Terminal 4 location, doubled the presence of K Line at Tacoma. And in October, the Port completed the Olympic Container Terminal, an expansion of K Line's prior home at Terminal 7.

Facing the Future

The three new terminals, and continued increases in imports from Asia, especially China, led to two more record-setting years: volume topped two million containers for the first time in 2005 and rose further to set an all-time record in 2006. After that, Tacoma's container volumes declined, with the sharpest drop being from 2008 to 2009, as world-wide cargo traffic slumped due to the recession following the collapse of the U.S. housing bubble. The economic downturn also caused the Port to put some plans for expansion on hold. In 2007, when the Port and NYK Line of Japan entered an agreement for NYK to begin service to Tacoma in 2012, the plan was to construct a new container terminal on the east side of Blair Waterway. Those plans were altered and now call for NYK ships to use an existing terminal when they begin calling in 2012. By late 2010 and the start of 2011, container traffic appeared to be rebounding, as existing shippers increased service, with K Line bringing new, larger ships to Tacoma and Evergreen resuming routes it had suspended during the downturn.

Meanwhile, the Port continued to plan for the future. As it readied property for development when the economy improved, the Port proceeded with major environmental projects, including clean up of former industrial sites and wetland restoration along its waterways, planning to spend nearly $40 million by 2015. In 2010, the Port of Tacoma became the first in the Pacific Northwest to provide shore power for cargo vessels. The shore power plug installation at the TOTE terminal allows TOTE cargo ships to shut off their diesel engines while docked, reducing emissions by as much as 90 percent.

More than 90 years after its creation by the voters of Pierce County, the Port of Tacoma continues to transform the landscape of Commencement Bay and the economy of the region and to play a major role in international and domestic trade.

Asociación de Puertos Públicos de Washington

Longshore strade drivers, Port of Tacoma

Map of Port of Tacoma showing Port's terminals, intermodal yards, and waterways (from left: Puyallup River, Sitcum Waterway, Blair Waterway, and Hylebos Waterway with aquatic habitat to right), Tacoma, ca. 2008

Edward Kloss, Charles W. Orton, and Chester Thorne, first Port of Tacoma Commissioners, 1918

Frank J. Walsh Master Plan for Port of Tacoma, 1918

Pacific Coast Steamship Company's Edmore, first ship to call at Port of Tacoma, March 25, 1921

United Grain Terminal (foreground) and cold storage facility (background), Port of Tacoma, 1930s

Todd-Pacific Shipyard (center), and Port of Tacoma piers (upper left), Commencement Bay, 1940s

Dredging Blair Waterway, Port of Tacoma, Tacoma, 1966

Totem Ocean Trailer Express "roll on/ roll off" vessel serving Alaska, docked at Terminal 7, Port of Tacoma, ca. 1977

Bulk vessel loading grain at Cargill Continental Grain Terminal, Port of Tacoma

los amanecer delivers two Hitachi container cranes for Sea-Land's Port of Tacoma terminal, December 1984

Dredging for construction of Port of Tacoma's Pierce County Terminal, Tacoma, December 18, 2002

First Evergreen Marine Corporation ship to call at new Pierce County Terminal, Port of Tacoma, December 22, 2004

los Yang Ming Heights berthed at Olympic Container Terminal, Port of Tacoma, ca. 2005


Puget Sound Wastewater Carries Emerging Contaminants

A new study of emerging contaminants entering Puget Sound in wastewater plant effluent found some of the nation’s highest concentrations of these chemical compounds, and detected many in fish at concentrations that may affect their growth or behavior.

The study by scientists from NOAA Fisheries’ Northwest Fisheries Science Center and the University of Washington tested for 150 of the contaminants and detected 81 of the compounds in wastewater flowing into Puget Sound estuaries. They include pharmaceuticals such as the antidepressant Prozac and the diabetes medication metformin, personal care products such as antibacterial compounds from soap and industrial chemicals.

The study also examined juvenile Chinook salmon and Pacific staghorn sculpin, both fish native to Puget Sound, and found 42 of the emerging compounds in their tissue. Some of the compounds such as fluoxetine (also known as Prozac), the diabetes drug metformin and the antibacterial compound triclosan were present in fish tissues at levels that may be high enough to adversely affect their growth, reproduction, or behavior.

“There’s also the problem of not knowing how these chemicals act in fish when they are found together as a mixture,” said James Meador, a NOAA Fisheries research scientist and lead author of the research published this week in the journal Environmental Pollution. “Mixtures such as these may result in responses that occur at lower concentrations than single compounds alone.”

The research did not examine the potential effects on human health of consuming fish from Puget Sound, and it is unknown if these levels of emerging contaminants detected in fish could affect people.

The study funded in large part by the Washington Department of Ecology examined wastewater plant effluent, estuary water, and fish found in the Puyallup River estuary in Tacoma’s Commencement Bay, Sinclair Inlet in Bremerton, and the Nisqually River estuary near Tacoma. The Nisqually estuary was included as a reference site because it does not have a major wastewater treatment plant and has been used historically as a reference site for toxicity studies. Unexpectedly, they found that fish and water in the Nisqually estuary also contained high concentrations of some emerging compounds.

The study also noted that the relatively high pH of seawater often makes the contaminants more bioavailable and therefore more likely to be absorbed by marine fish compared to fish in freshwater, Meador said.

The researchers noted that since the two major wastewater treatment plants they examined in the Puyallup and Sinclair Inlet discharged a total of 71 million liters per day, “it is possible that a substantial load of potentially harmful chemicals are introduced into streams and nearshore marine waters daily.” If the two wastewater plants sampled in the study are representative of others around Puget Sound, the researchers calculated that nearly 300 pounds of the emerging contaminants likely enter Puget Sound every day.

“When you add it all up, you get millions of gallons of effluent discharging into these estuaries,” Meador said. “This is right in the area where juvenile salmon and other fish are feeding and growing.”


Our Newsletter

Product Description

USS Commencement Bay CVE 105

"The Bay Wake"

World War II Cruise Book

Bring the Cruise Book to Life with this Multimedia Presentation

This CD will Exceed your Expectations

Gran parte de la historia naval.

You would be purchasing the USS Commencement Bay cruise book during World War II. Each page has been placed on a CD for years of enjoyable computer viewing. los CD comes in a plastic sleeve with a custom label. Every page has been enhanced and is readable. Rare cruise books like this sell for a hundred dollars or more when buying the actual hard copy if you can find one for sale.

This would make a great gift for yourself or someone you know who may have served aboard her. Usually only ONE person in the family has the original book. The CD makes it possible for other family members to have a copy also. You will not be disappointed we guarantee it.

Some of the items in this book are as follows:

  • Commissioning 1944
  • Shakedown training
  • Navy Day
  • San Pedro Pearl Harbor Tacoma
  • Group Photos all Divisions and air groups
  • Sports and recreation
  • Shipboard entertainment
  • Ships picnics and parties
  • Liberty Call

Over 210 Photos on 79 Pages.

Once you view this CD you will know what life was like on this Escort Aircraft Carrier during World War II.

Additional Bonus:

  • 22 Minute Audio " American Radio Mobilizes the Homefront " WWII (National Archives)
  • 22 Minute Audio " Allied Turncoats Broadcast for the Axis Powers " WWII (National Archives)
  • 6 Minute Audio of " Sounds of Boot Camp " in the late 50's early 60's
  • Other Interesting Items Include:
    • The Oath of Enlistment
    • The Sailors Creed
    • Core Values of the United States Navy
    • Military Code of Conduct
    • Navy Terminology Origins (8 Pages)
    • Examples: Scuttlebutt, Chewing the Fat, Devil to Pay,
    • Hunky-Dory and many more.

    ¿Por qué un CD en lugar de un libro impreso?

    • The pictures will not be degraded over time.
    • Self contained CD no software to load.
    • Thumbnails, table of contents and index for easy viewing reference.
    • View as a digital flip book or watch a slide show. (You set the timing options)
    • Back ground patriotic music and Navy sounds can be turned on or off.
    • Viewing options are described in the help section.
    • Bookmark your favorite pages.
    • The quality on your screen may be better than a hard copy with the ability to magnify any page.
    • Full page viewing slide show that you control with arrow keys or mouse.
    • Designed to work on a Microsoft platform. (Not Apple or Mac) Will work with Windows 98 or above.

    Personal Comment from "Navyboy63"

    The cruise book CD is a great inexpensive way of preserving historical family heritage for yourself, children or grand children especially if you or a loved one has served aboard the ship. It is a way to get connected with the past especially if you no longer have the human connection.

    If your loved one is still with us, they might consider this to be a priceless gift. Statistics show that only 25-35% of sailors purchased their own cruise book. Many probably wished they would have. It's a nice way to show them that you care about their past and appreciate the sacrifice they and many others made for you and the LIBERTAD of our country. Would also be great for school research projects or just self interest in World War II documentation.

    We never knew what life was like for a sailor in World War II until we started taking an interest in these great books. We found pictures which we never knew existed of a relative who served on the USS Essex CV 9 during World War II. He passed away at a very young age and we never got a chance to hear many of his stories. Somehow by viewing his cruise book which we never saw until recently has reconnected the family with his legacy and Naval heritage. Even if we did not find the pictures in the cruise book it was a great way to see what life was like for him. We now consider these to be family treasures. His children, grand children and great grand children can always be connected to him in some small way which they can be proud of. This is what motivates and drives us to do the research and development of these great cruise books. I hope you can experience the same thing for your family.

    If you have any questions please send us an E-mail prior to purchasing.

    Buyer pays shipping and handling. Shipping charges outside the US will vary by location.

    Check our feedback. Customers who have purchased these CD's have been very pleased with the product.

    Be sure to add us to your !

    Thanks for your Interest!


    Powered by
    The free listing tool. List your items fast and easy and manage your active items.

    This CD is for your personal use only

    Copyright © 2003-2010 Great Naval Images LLC. Reservados todos los derechos.


    FOLLOWUP: One more delay for SW Yancy reopening

    June 18, 2021 4:54 pm
    | 5 COMMENTS
    | West Seattle news | West Seattle traffic alerts

    The long-closed stretch of SW Yancy Street near the West Seattle Health Club will not reopen tomorrow as most recently promised. Word from Transitional Resources, the nearby nonprofit whose supportive-housing project is the reason for the closure: “The concrete is all poured on Yancy Street, but the City Inspector is not allowing the road to open until Tuesday.” It has been closed for almost three months initial word was that the road work mostly involved drainage improvements.


    CVE-106 U.S.S. Commencement Bay - History

    (Celebrating 16 Years in Business)

    (Not just a photo or poster but a work of art!)

    These reproduction prints represent various time periods and themes. Many are vintage WWII prints.

    Print size is 8"x10" ready for framing. The matte is printed right on the canvas. You can frame as shown or add your own matte. These canvas prints are made to order. They usually ship within two days of order placement.

    This would make a nice gift and a great addition to any collection or Navy memory. Would be fantastic for decorating the home or office wall.

    The watermark "Sample Print" will NOT be on your print.

    This image is printed on Archival-Safe Acid-Free canvas using a high resolution printer and should last many years. It is also sprayed with a clear UV finish for extra protection.

    Canvas offers a special and distinctive look. The canvas print does not need glass thereby enhancing the appearance of your print by eliminating glare.

    We guarantee you will not be disappointed with this item or your money back. In addition, we will replace the canvas print unconditionally if you damage your print. You would only be charged for shipping and handling plus $5.00.

    ****WE SHIP WITHIN 24 HOURS OF PAYMENT****

    Navy Heritage
    Merchant Marines
    Build Fight in the Seabees
    Cadets for Naval Aviation
    Wish I could Join Waves
    Sub Spotted Let Em Have It
    Submarine Service
    Become a Nurse
    Don't Let Me Down
    Sailor and his Girl
    Because Someone Talked
    Be a Marine Free a Marine
    Admiral Halsey
    Join Navy Free World
    American Fighting Forces
    Fight Lets Go! Join Navy
    Don't Read History Make It
    US Naval Aviation
    Coast Guard Men
    Navy Day October 27th
    Travel Navy USS Miller
    Old Salt of the Sixth Fleet
    Become a Naval Officer
    Remember December 7th
    Tough Job Still Ahead
    Viet Nam Who Served
    Spearhead of Victory
    Avenge December 7th
    Sub Clear for Action
    He's Getting Signal Are You?
    Girl He Left Behind. Shes a Wow
    We Can Do It!
    Let's Hit Em
    Philadelphia Navy Birthplace
    US Marines First to Fight
    America Fights for Liberty
    Peace Through Strength
    Corsairs Billboard Sign
    The Kill
    Spider and The Fly
    MacArthur Returns
    Old Salts 1880's
    Seabees Build and Fight
    I Want You Now
    Young Men Wanted (1908)
    Wish I Were a Man

    Copyright © 2003-2016 Great Naval Images LLC. Reservados todos los derechos.

    Great Naval Images LLC

    NTC San Diego 1955-377 Anchor NTC San Diego 1956-326 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1957-120 Anchor NTC San Diego 1957-318 Anchor NTC San Diego 1958-181 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1959-062 Anchor NTC San Diego 1959-572 Anchor

    NTC San Diego 1960-388 Anchor NTC San Diego 1961-028 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1961-364 Anchor NTC San Diego 1962-298 Anchor NTC San Diego 1962-416 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1962-464 Anchor NTC San Diego 1963-056 Anchor NTC San Diego 1963-177 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1963-242 Anchor NTC San Diego 1963-363 Anchor NTC San Diego 1963-520 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1963-523 Anchor NTC San Diego 1963-565 Anchor NTC San Diego 1964-039 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1964-124 Anchor NTC San Diego 1964-205 Anchor NTC San Diego 1964-224 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1964-315 Anchor NTC San Diego 1964-381 Anchor NTC San Diego 1964-426 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1965-300 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1965-306 Anchor NTC San Diego 1965-307 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1965-910 Anchor NTC San Diego 1966-291 Anchor NTC San Diego 1966-446 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1966-710 Anchor NTC San Diego 1967-165 Anchor NTC San Diego 1967-254 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1967-391 Anchor NTC San Diego 1967-634 Anchor NTC San Diego 1967-720 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1968-103 Anchor NTC San Diego 1968-135 Anchor NTC San Diego 1968-507 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1968-564 Anchor NTC San Diego 1968-771 Anchor NTC San Diego 1968-775 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1968-783 Anchor NTC San Diego 1969-137 Anchor NTC San Diego 1969-198 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1969-423 Anchor NTC San Diego 1969-468 Anchor NTC San Diego 1969-500 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1969-592 Anchor

    NTC San Diego 1970-020 Anchor NTC San Diego 1970-068 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1970-133 Anchor NTC San Diego 1970-274 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1971-036 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1971-417 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1971-916 Anchor NTC San Diego 1972-319 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1972-268 Anchor NTC San Diego 1972-338 Anchor NTC San Diego 1972-371 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1972-945 Anchor NTC San Diego 1973-124 Anchor NTC San Diego 1973-149 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1973-238 Anchor NTC San Diego 1973-248 Anchor NTC San Diego 1974-093 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1974-167 Anchor NTC San Diego 1974-235 Anchor NTC San Diego 1974-390 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1974-804 Anchor NTC San Diego 1975-157 Anchor NTC San Diego 1975-922 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1976-124 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1976-139 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1976-168 Anchor

    NTC San Diego 1976-238 Anchor NTC San Diego 1976-326 Anchor NTC San Diego 1977-055 Anchor

    NTC San Diego 1977-276 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1978-073 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1978-197 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1979-072 Anchor NTC San Diego 1979-130 Anchor NTC San Diego 1979-179 Anchor

    NTC San Diego 1979-194 Anchor

    NTC San Diego 1980-028 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1980-036 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1980-055 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1980-069 Anchor NTC San Diego 1980-102 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1980-156 Anchor NTC San Diego 1980-227 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1981-073 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1981-137 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1981-148 Anchor NTC San Diego 1981-273 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1981-282 Anchor NTC San Diego 1982-935 Anchor NTC San Diego 1983-207 Anchor

    NTC San Diego 1984-019 Anchor NTC San Diego 1984-243 Anchor NTC San Diego 1984-920 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1984-947 Anchor NTC San Diego 1984-949 Anchor NTC San Diego 1985-034 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1985-236 Anchor NTC San Diego 1986-132 Anchor NTC San Diego 1986-061 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1986-133 Anchor NTC San Diego 1986-171 Anchor NTC San Diego 1987-081 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1987-219 Anchor NTC San Diego 1987-933 Anchor NTC San Diego 1988-009 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1988-165 Anchor NTC San Diego 1989-067 Anchor


    Ver el vídeo: Voices of Proclamation - Crown Him